Similar to knowing your hardiness zone, it’s also crucial to know your first and last frost dates. Gardening, especially vegetable, revolve around these dates.
Most seed packets or store bought plants will come with instructions based on hardiness zone and/or average first or last frost date. For your best chance of success, follow these instructions.
Knowing where to start with gardening can be intimidating since you could fail and kill every plant you come into contact with.
The best thing I did was take a beginning gardening course. The second best thing I did was check out a boatload of books from the library. The third best thing I did was start gardening.
My instructor said, “I’ve killed more plants than I’ve kept alive.” That being said, school yourself and go play in the dirt!
Start Here: Gardening Resource List
- Local Extension Office (GREAT in-person & online resoruce located in every country & state)
- Horticultural Societies (Classes/Events)
- Library (Books/Videos/ Events)
- College & University Horticultural & Agricultural Programs (Classes/Events/Online Resources)
- Local Radio and Television (Garden Programs & Podcasts)
- Google “Gardening Course/Event” in your zip code
- LOCAL Garden Stores. The employees at these gardener centers are knowledgeable about your local area.